Thursday, December 06, 2007

Do Lead Testing Kits Work?

Well, it depends on who you ask. Ask the Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) and they'll say they're unreliable. Ask the Consumer Union and they'll say it depends on the brand.

The CPSC tested two common types of home lead test kits and found that the kits registered false positives and false negatives. Therefore, the CPSC has said that "consumers should not use lead test kits to evaluate consumer products for potential lead hazard."

But hold on. The Consumers Union evaluated five lead testing kits and found three of them to be effective - Homax Lead Check, Lead Check Household Lead Test Kit, and Lead Inspector.

So are these kits effective or not?

Continue reading at Moms Speak Up.


********

p.s. Aren't I full of all sorts of great news lately? Yeah, well, don't worry, I've got even more happy holiday joy to spread around! Stay tuned for my post about lead in artificial Christmas trees....

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yikes. I haven't even seen them in stores here but if I knew they worked I'd look harder.

5:50 PM  
Blogger Kyla said...

You are the Good News Fairy.

But I love it, because SOMEONE needs to talk about this stuff. Especially at Christmas, which is now the most dangerous holiday of the year. Ridiculous, isn't it? We should just fill our stockings with lead test kits. LOL.

7:34 AM  
Blogger Lisa said...

Lead in Fake Christmas trees too? Eeek.

And I had no idea those kits didn't even work. That really sucks!

7:54 PM  
Blogger Cristina said...

Oh yikes, I hope my post was clear. I think the tests DO work, as stated by the Consumer's Union. But the caveat is that they work for testing SURFACE lead. They don't tell you whether there is lead inside the object. But still - I say it's better than nothing. For people looking to buy a kit, I'd go with the ones suggested by the Consumer's Union. I linked to their findings in the post.

8:45 PM  
Blogger Andrea said...

You're such a smart cookie. Seriously . :)

7:44 PM  
Anonymous Olaj Liget said...

Thanks for this blog poost

3:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

BlogHer Ad Network
More from BlogHer
Advertise here
BlogHer Privacy Policy

Moms Speak Up

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

A Perfect Post

A Perfect Post

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

More Bling