Monday, November 12, 2007

Potty Training Begins

Ever since Little Guy came home from daycare and told me about Carson's penis, I've noticed that his fascination with the bathroom has greatly increased. Come to find out that his daycare is starting the beginnings of potty training. Hence the reason that he's seen Carson's penis. And hence the reason for his recent obsession with sitting on the potty.

I've been dreading this whole potty training thing for a while now. I'm not the kind of mother who can't wait to start potty training. I'm not looking forward to spending all my time in the bathroom or rushing to find the potty when we're out shopping or cleaning up accidents. I know we need to do it, but I'm not looking forward to it. However, he has begun showing some readiness signs that makes me think it's almost time:

1. He wants big boy underwear like Carson. (Damn that kid.)
2. His favorite DVD is Elmo's Potty Time.
3. He carries his potty around the house, pulls down his pants, takes off his diaper, and sits on it several times a day.

However, he still hides when he really has to go. And then he lies and pretends he doesn't have a big fat poop in his pants when it's obvious to anyone within a 200 foot radius that he has gone poop. So I'm thinking he's not totally ready just yet.

Regardless, I bought him a potty insert yesterday so that he could sit on the "big toilet", which he's been begging to do for a while now.

As you can see, he doesn't always use it as intended.



Potty Training Rule #1: Allowing your child to walk around the house with his pants down and his potty seat on his head is better than enduring the inevitable tantrum that would ensue should you attempt to remove the "crown" from said child's head. Trust me on this.

13 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

GAH!!! Potty Training...I can't read any further...It scares me that much.

I won't read potty training posts...I get nightmares.

I have no words of wisdom other than..."when they're ready" and I wanted to snap the necks of anyone who said that to me...until I saw it was true...

I wish you all the luck in the world...And if it came easy..don't tell me.

5:00 AM  
Blogger Kyla said...

We're making the tiniest of steps in that direction. When she poops, we take her in the bathroom to change it, dump the "product" into the potty and let her flush it. So now she knows where it is SUPPOSED to go, at least. No other progress, though. LOL.

7:39 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I let my son have "Naked Baby Time" for like 9 months. Because he'd only use the toilet when he was naked. But when he had undies or pants on, he'd pee freely. Have fun!! :-)

8:11 AM  
Blogger Julie Pippert said...

That photo is HILARIOUS!

We take the slacker road wrt to transitioning to panties (note utter lack of phrase "potty training"). We let it happen organically (pun intended) and so far, that's worked well for us. For the girls.

GOOD LUCK! We are transitioning the youngest off of poop in diapers. The rest is all set!

Julie
Using My Words

8:21 AM  
Blogger Damselfly said...

Cute pic! Fly likes to take the seat and chew on it.

1:22 PM  
Blogger Andrea said...

Yay! Nice hat!

Mozilla makes your web page work much better. I can't believe the problem was on *my* end. whatever.

5:58 PM  
Blogger Andrea said...

Did I ever tell you about Evan potty training? He would take a huge poop into his big boy pants, then walk around like Chris Farley with his legs as far out as possible with what looked like an oversized brick sticking straight out from the back of his pants. When asked if he had pooped, he would say, "no..."

6:01 PM  
Blogger Pumpkin said...

Aaaah potty training...it is trully one of those things that I am sure was designed specifically to make mothers lose their minds!!!

It is tough, it is messy and there are times when you want to scream:

"But WHY did you have to crap on the toilet floor?!"

However there is less money spent on nappies, which could be viewed as a plus.....if you REALLY want to see the good side.

Ach hun you'll get there, it may take threatening your child with a large and shiny axe....but you'll get there.

Hugs for you my friend and remember, if it gets bad, just take a wee peek at that post I did, you know the one I'm talking about, as long as that doesn't happen, then you know it's going well. xxxxxxxx

6:35 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

MOTR-

I am there with you right now with Ricky!! I even blogged about it today!!! this is going to be a total bitch!!!

let's swap horror stories!!

3:32 PM  
Blogger Ginger said...

I wish you a world of luck! Pls share tips that worked for you. =o)

We've been training since June and it isn't going so well.... but we've almost taught them to change their own diaper!

11:02 PM  
Blogger Lawyer Mama said...

I'm with you on potty training. We waited until we absolutely HAD to do it so Hollis could go to school this fall. Having to take them to potty every 20 minutes is too much work and I'm lazy.

12:47 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am a firm believer in bribery! We used pull-ups. At first (2-3 weeks) we sat on the potty in the morning and read stories. (Bribe #1 extra books) Then we let my daughter chose which Pull-ups she wanted (Bribe #2 Licensed characters--she chose "Cars" much of the time) If she peed in the potty she got a piece of chocolate. (Bribe #3 CHOCOLATE)This went on for about a month. Then she and I had a discussion about how she could use the potty very well and she needed to use the potty and keep her stars before she got a piece of chocolate. Pull-ups have stars in the crotch--inside, they dissapear when they come in contact with water. So for 2-3 weeks she got chocolate whenever she kept her stars. We graduated to getting ice cream when she kept her stars all day long (Bribe #4 ice cream!). In all I used less than 2 bags of hersheys kisses and neither of us gained too much weight and no cavities to date! She has been diaper free since age 2yr and 3 months.

10:10 AM  
Blogger Bronie said...

oh my goodness. i feel SO much better. we have that exact seat, and it makes the niftiest hat at our house too. i was starting to worry.

5:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

BlogHer Ad Network
More from BlogHer
Advertise here
BlogHer Privacy Policy

Moms Speak Up

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

A Perfect Post

A Perfect Post

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

More Bling