Monday, July 30, 2007

An Open Letter to Coca-Cola

Dear Coca-Cola,

If there's one thing that annoys me, it's food and drink products masquerading to be something they're not - or shouldn't be. Take McDonald's for example. Their new media strategy to employ "real moms" to blog about how great Big Macs are for their families makes me want to hurl my fries. I don't care if you can get a side of apple "dippers" with your Happy Meal, McDonald's is not in the health food business.

And for that matter, neither are you Coca-Cola. So why do you continue to pretend like you are?

It annoys me enough to see "diet" soft drinks on the market. Cuz, hey, if I'm planning to be on a diet, I don't think I should be reaching for a can of carbonated artificially-sweetened water. I just can't believe it's part of a nutritious diet. Sorry.

But if that's not enough, you're now introducing Diet Coke Plus - a "good source of niacin, B3, B6, B12, zinc and magnesium."

WTF? Diet Coke is now a good source for me to get my B vitamins?

I don't think so. Not for me at least.

Don't get me wrong. I like Coca-Cola - the real stuff. And I drink it from time to time. It's sugary and high-calorie - the way a soda should be.

But please spare me by trying to use health gimmicks to sell what is, basically, an unhealthful product. It insults me. No offense.

Signed,

MotR - real mom blogger #4,567

***************************
On another topic, did something happen this weekend? I keep hearing about something called "Blog Her"? What did I miss?

(Heh. I'm totally joking of course. I can't wait to see pictures and hear all about the drunken debauchery from those who got to go! In the meantime, I am now officially 37 weeks preggers. Woo-hoo! I'm in countdown mode!)

17 Comments:

Blogger jeanie said...

That truly sounds disgusting!

We had an ad over here on the tv last night where some chips are going to make you smarter because of the extra Omega whatever.

I would say "How stupid do they think we are" - but I think they are catering for that...

1:11 AM  
Blogger Msabcmom said...

Right on!!!

I have been thinking the same thing about this ridiculous product.

5:21 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's so stupid. What's worse is the people that fall for their tactics. C'mon!

6:14 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Amen! I was ever so pissed when I heard about this new coke. Embrace your junk-food image, Coke. Don't go parading around like you're water or something.

6:29 AM  
Blogger Pumpkin said...

It's like being told to feed you babies granulated coffee as it is good for their bones.......incidentally this was actually done by Nestle in a developing country as a way of selling their coffee......and the people there didn't know any better and trusted the company...there were a few deaths.....

It's a good job that we're actually aware of the 'bullshit' aspect of advertising campaigns now............although I do still enjoy a can of Coke.....as a hangover cure!

As usual, good post! x

7:41 AM  
Blogger Kyla said...

I missed you!! It was awesome. AWESOME. There is a chance I might have ended up in a bathtub with a Canadian and then might have had a bouncer called up to our room for disturbing the peace...yeah, good times. I'm blogging it today. ;)

8:01 AM  
Blogger karengreeners said...

#1 - congrats on week 37! whoo hoo!

#2 - McDonald's is doing that? Gross, on so many levels. (Except for the odd first trimester craving, I don't know how anyone eats the stuff, ever, let alone feeds it to their kids on a regular basis)

#3 - Coke. Super gross. One more reason to stick with water.

8:20 AM  
Blogger kirida said...

I am never going to drink Coke for its nutritional value. As if.

And 37 weeks! Wow!

9:28 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have never even heard of this before reading your post. I'll admit I'm a total Diet Coke addict, but I won't be fooled into thinking that ANY Coke product will actually be good for me.

Jane, P&B Girls

9:47 AM  
Blogger Lawyer Mama said...

I'm a Diet Dr. Pepper addict, but I'm no going to pretend that it's health food. Geesh. What will they think of next?

I have pictures up in my flickr side bar from BlogHer!

10:37 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I totally agree ... McDonald's ads drive me bonkers and we avoid the place as much as possible. Yet my three year old still thinks it is the greatest ... yuck!

1:07 PM  
Blogger Lisa said...

I know. I like Diet Coke. (I don't drink coffee typically) ANd grabbed that Diet Coke plus stuff the other day. Its icky.

6:41 PM  
Blogger carrie said...

Okay, I fully admit that I love my Diet Coke, but in no way will I try to pass off my "addiction" as either healthy or fine. Fact is, I should be drinking water. Period. And I will never try this crap. That's why we have vegetables, or vitamins from GNC for goodness sake - I'm not looking for them in my diet soda!

Also ironic that this prefaces all the media hype about soda in general (whether diet or regular) contributing to increasing obesity and disease - even the diet kind. Makes you think, doesn't it?

Good post and let the baby countdown begin, I can't wait!!!

Carrie

8:54 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Countdown mode for me too. Are we due on the same day? the 20th?

10:36 AM  
Blogger Debbie said...

this - this is why I love you.

(because you're brilliant. me likee the shiny things. and you're shiny. v., v. shiny.)

I get to meet you in like two freaking days, dude!!

squeeeeee!

okay. no more exclamation points. I apologize for getting all exclamation-pointy. it won't happen again.

!!!!

sorry. bad hand. *slaps wrist, cries because pain tolerance is mortifiyingly low*

2:32 PM  
Blogger Melissa said...

Thanks for putting my thoughts into words! I thought that when I recently saw some ads for Coke! Ick!

37 weeks and counting.....good luck to you! :) Those last few weeks are so uncomfortable!!!!!!

9:49 PM  
Blogger Nadine said...

About every woman I know drinks the light stuff. These are also the same women, who eat a completely unhealthy fat meal but insist on having a LIGHT drink with it. That's just crazy. Coke is unhealthy. In fact, it is one of the least healthy things a person could drink. I bet the stuff they put in there to make it 'light' doesn't make it healthier!

Yay for 37 weeks! I am 14 weeks pregnant. It seems like another decade before I hit 37 weeks.

8:16 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

BlogHer Ad Network
More from BlogHer
Advertise here
BlogHer Privacy Policy

Moms Speak Up

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

A Perfect Post

A Perfect Post

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

More Bling