Tuesday, August 14, 2007

An Open Letter re. the Mattel Recall

We interrupt live pregnancy blogging to bring you another open letter...

Dear Mattel,

Wow. Another recall. I'm having a little bit of trouble keeping up. So, this latest recall in the news today is not the recall from two weeks ago right? I hear there might actually be more recalls soon too.

Phew. Wouldn't want to be you guys right now.

Well, I think I'm just going to go ahead and bookmark your recall site so that I can routinely check in to see whether any of my son's toys are putting him at risk of a) sucking on lethal amounts of lead paint or b) dying from aspirating small toy magnets.

You know what? On second thought, I think I'm just going to stop buying toys made in China. And since, like, all U.S. toys (80%) are made in China now, I guess I'll just stop buying my son toys altogether. Better to be safe than sorry, you know?

It's not like he needs your stupid toys anyways. He's been known to play for hours with a closet full of shoes. So no worries here. We'll be just fine without your crappy toys.

Signed,

Angry Mama Who Has Boatloads of Money to Spend on Her Son But Won't Be Spending a Dime On Your Stupid Toys Anytime Soon

14 Comments:

Blogger Kyla said...

OMG. Seriously, what the hell! Nothing is safe.

3:16 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's terrible, but when I heard the Chinese Export Executive killed himself after the first round of recalls, I thought: Oh how terrible that he thought he had to do that because of what had happened. I mean anyone can make a mistake.

And yet, when I heard about the second recall, I thought: Maybe better you did it to yourself, buddy, because I bet there are about a million pissed off moms that would have offed you in the street if they'd seen you.

:^(

3:16 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Amen, Sista.

And Anne, it has been a long standing "tradition" in their country to commit suicide when one is publicly disgraced like that.

I am also glad that they don't take anyone else with them. It's awful.

3:46 PM  
Blogger carrie said...

Just let them play in the dirt and when they come inside, give them some pots and pans . . . oh wait, check to see where they are made first!

As if parenting isn't had enough by itself . . .

Carrie

4:04 PM  
Blogger carrie said...

HARD enough, not had.

Sorry.

Oh, and the floors - they are so lovely. I hope you enjoyed your time with them! :)

Carrie

4:05 PM  
Blogger Lawyer Mama said...

WE've decided to stop buying from China & it's HARD! We were trying to buy a birthday present for my 3 year old & so far we've gotten books, pajamas & a new toothbrush. Oy.

5:12 PM  
Blogger Amanda said...

Wooden spoons and a toilet bowl. Yup, that and a bit of ribbon and some stones and you've got yourself a year long craft project activity.

6:52 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bookmarking their recall site, now THAT'S funny!

You're not taking a maternity leave from your blog writing, are you?

8:15 PM  
Blogger Pumpkin said...

Wow....seriously frightening......it blows my mind to think that companies actually use this stuff to make toys when they KNOW that it's dangerous.....or am I just naive to think that child safety is more important than making money.........sheesh, I feel jaded!
xx

1:57 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ella will just have to make do with the kitchen knives and daddy's drill until Mattel gets its act together!

8:56 AM  
Blogger Her Bad Mother said...

A to the MEN.

It's all locally made stuff for us from now on.

10:13 AM  
Blogger snarflemarfle said...

Should be easy to eschew Chinese made toys...X-man has recently taken to a (just out of the dishwasher clean) fly-swatter...

12:18 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very funny post -- point well taken. And yes, a closet of shoes, is more of a hit around here anyway. But, Mattel is doing a very good PR job of keeping us informed -- but still....

12:40 PM  
Blogger Alex @ I'm the Mom said...

This post was really funny and very blunt. I loved it and can't wait to read more!

1:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

BlogHer Ad Network
More from BlogHer
Advertise here
BlogHer Privacy Policy

Moms Speak Up

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

A Perfect Post

A Perfect Post

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

More Bling