Monday, February 18, 2008

Men Are Such Boobs

I went back to work this week and fortunately for me there is a great pumping room where I can pump breastmilk during the day so that I can continue exclusively breastfeeding the baby, even while I'm away from him.

Unfortunately, I lacked the access code to get into the pumping room so I went up to the security desk to ask for help, where two male security guards were there to greet me.

Me: Can someone help me get into the pumping room?

Guy #1: Uh, excuse me?

Me: I mean, er, I need access to the breastfeeding room but I haven't got the access code and I was wondering if you guys could let me in.

Guy #2: We'll have to radio someone to help us get in there.

Me: OK, that'd be great.

Guy #1: But we can't say "breastfeeding" over the radio. What else could we call it?

Me: (laughing out loud) Uh, I don't know. I'm drawing a blank...

Guy #2: How about "lactation room!"

Guy #1: Oh yeah - that's good! That'll work. (proceeds to radio for help)

Me: cracking up...and thinking to myself, it is such a paradox that guys can be such boobs while being so scared of them at the same time.

*******
On another note, have you heard of the 2007 Mother of the Year Award? Mother's Day Central (the same lovely group that brings us the 100 Top Mom Blog Awards) is holding a Mother of the Year Contest. Anyone can enter their mom to win. The grand prize winner will receive $5,000 cash plus a ton of other cool stuff. And the top 10 finalists will each receive a bouquet of Mother’s Day flowers.Go here for details on how to enter! The deadline is March 5th! I won't be able to enter myself, but I do get to be one of the judges - yippee!

*****
And...have you seen the cool stuff we're giving away just for signing up for the Green Mom Finds free e-newsletter? $100 worth of green goodies for moms and kids. Check it out!

14 Comments:

Blogger Amanda said...

Hmm, maybe I can stop taking the lord's name in vain and start wielding the oh so profane "breast" word.

2:53 PM  
Blogger Kim said...

Oh my. That's even beyond PC.

11:19 AM  
Blogger Lawyer Mama said...

THat is too funny!

11:22 AM  
Blogger Andrea said...

That IS funny. What is wrong w/ people?

12:22 PM  
Blogger karengreeners said...

That is a very charming story.

12:37 PM  
Blogger Table4Five said...

They can't say "breastfeeding" over the radio? What is WRONG with our society? I hate to tell men this, but we have BREASTS, and one of their functions is to FEED babies! I will never understand why it's such a stigma. I mean, it's a funny story, but didn't you just want to yell "BREAST" into their radios? lol

8:26 PM  
Blogger IzzyMom said...

I'm sure they would have been okay with it if it was called the Ta-Ta Room or the Titty Room or the Boob Room or the Hooters Room. But use the word breast? OMG NOOOOOOOOO!!!!

9:45 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's it, I'm going to start using "breast" instead of my more colorful language. And when someone asks me what I'm doing, I'm going to share your story.

7:46 PM  
Blogger Lisa said...

Geez, I'm surprised someone didn't offer the term, "the milkin' parlor." Yes, those breasts. Very salacious indeed.

9:12 PM  
Blogger Michelle Dunn said...

THAT WAS GREAT!!!! I couldn't stop laughing for a couple min there! But I understand what you mean, I had some strange looks myself when feeding my first child, so I know what it feels like! Thank you again for posting this, it was great!

Trying To Have a Baby - A Mother's Story

3:29 AM  
Blogger Pendullum said...

Lactation room???
Amazing they said that with a straight face...

3:52 PM  
Blogger carrie said...

That reminds me of the time I desperately needed to use the bathroom at the convention center and they were all keyed entries - so I had to track down someone with the CODE! Dude, whatever the reason we ladies need to use the loo, or lactation room, if you will, we should not have to get a code to do so!

See, I'm still bitter about that!

11:30 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

No way! They can't say breastfeeding over the radio?!

11:22 AM  
Blogger melissa rohr said...

gawd, that is hilarious!

they can't say breast feeding? or that guy didn't want to be caught dead saying it?

8:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

BlogHer Ad Network
More from BlogHer
Advertise here
BlogHer Privacy Policy

Moms Speak Up

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

A Perfect Post

A Perfect Post

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

More Bling