Monday, January 28, 2008

Co-Sleeping Postscript

Thank you all for your supportive comments on my last post. There was one comment questioning the safety of co-sleeping. I didn't intend to start a debate on it, but I personally feel that the manner in which families choose to sleep together is totally their own business. Also, I do not necessarily think that co-sleeping is dangerous, as long as some precautions are taken (like don't smoke in bed with your baby or go to bed drunk. Heh.). That being said, I am not an expert on the dangers or safety of co-sleeping and I was always a little bit nervous to sleep with my baby because I was afraid he might roll off the bed or that I might pull the covers over him by accident. It never happened, but I guess it could have. But I know many moms who co-sleep and love it and I support them.

Now, while I do support co-sleeping if that's what one chooses, I also support putting a baby in their crib if that works best. And I am happy to report that ever since we put the baby in a crib a few days ago, he has been sleeping like, well, a baby! I can't believe it! The first three days that I put him in the crib were the best nights of sleep I've had since he was born - and he didn't even really cry when we put him down. It was like a miracle or something. I would just nurse him to sleep and lay him down and he would make a few whimpers and fall asleep.

This is like better than winning the lottery. May it continue forever and ever and ever. Amen.

**********
And an announcement...Green Mom Finds has a fun new collaboration going with the League of Maternal Justice and BlogHers ACT Canada called Eco Moms ACT. Each month will feature an eco-challenge with lots of prizes for the winners. Go here to find out how to participate in this month's challenge - Go Meatless!



********
Plus, another great eco-friendly giveaway going on over here!

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

So, what you're saying is that I shouldn't have slept with my baby in a hammock while half-baked? Heh. I'm kidding, of course. I did some co-sleeping with both kids and loved the closeness (and the much needed sleep) it provided. With precautions, I think it is pretty safe.

I'm so glad the crib worked out well. I found my kids adjusted wherever they slept - I guess you and I are pretty lucky, hey?

-andi

4:19 PM  
Blogger karengreeners said...

Glad to hear it! Every mama deserves a good night's sleep.

7:13 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree with you, to each her own..whatever works. But, I too got my baby to sleep in her crib from the beginning to the point that now, when she's two and I sometimes want to cuddle next to her, she point to her cot and says "mama cot!!"

8:28 AM  
Blogger Virtualsprite said...

I'm so glad things are working and everyone is getting some sleep. It's so hard when the entire family isn't getting enough sleep or isn't getting good sleep.

So, yay for you!

10:01 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Glad to hear the transition went so smoothly! :-)

12:22 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Woohoo!!
ACtually, I was cosleeping w/ my guy up until Sat night. I have in a arms reach bassinet and he is sleeping much more soundly.

He was such a loud grunter that it was keeping my up.

Plus I bought one of those head foam incline pillows for him and he isn't getting congested at night too.

Last night was the first night I actually slept two three hours stretches in a row.

12:27 PM  
Blogger Amanda said...

Mmmmm, sleep.

7:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

BlogHer Ad Network
More from BlogHer
Advertise here
BlogHer Privacy Policy

Moms Speak Up

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

A Perfect Post

A Perfect Post

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

More Bling