Thursday, January 03, 2008

A New Year, A New Blogging Direction?

When I started this blog, I found myself naturally inclined towards writing about the more humorous aspects of being a new mom. And I also took some pokes at the hubby now and then. All in good fun, of course. *ahem* (Sorry, hun.)

I became a bit of a blogging junkie - spending hours and hours a week blogging, even at the expense of my sex life. (You know you're a blogging junkie if you're sex life is suffering because you're up late blogging.) Nevertheless, we somehow ended up conceiving another child last year and we are now the proud parents of two little boys.

Somewhere along the way, I began to notice that my blogging style has started to change a bit. I began this blog as a way to entertain myself with funny stories about being a mom, but in the last few months I have found myself wanting to write more about health and social issues like BPA in formula cans or Wal-Mart's role in organics or vaccine safety .

I am at a bit of a crossroads in my life and, hence, with my blog. My blog is a reflection of a piece of me. As are all of our blogs. Part of me still has tons of funny stories in my head about my kids that I want to write down and have later to laugh about. But perhaps a bigger part of me wants to write more about this other stuff rumbling around in my head all the time. Stuff like - how can I live a simpler life, how can I tread more lightly on the environment, how can I make sure my kids are safe in this crazy world of toy recalls and toxic chemical crap all around us.

Moms Speak Up has been a great site for me to get to write about this stuff. I also have a new project that I've been working that I am terribly excited about and that is giving me an outlet for writing about some of this kind of stuff. (I will tell you more in a few days.) But the bottom line is that I am unsure of how I should continue with this blog. Do I start a brand new blog with a new URL and a new name that focuses on my beginning attempts to try to live a greener, simpler lifestyle (with a few cute stories about the kids sprinkled in for good measure)? Or do I keep writing on this blog even though my writing topics might be changing a bit than when I first started? I'm not sure what I'm going to do yet, but it's just something that's been on my mind lately and I had to blog about it.

And also, I wanted to say thanks for reading. I'm not sure why you're still coming back, but I'm glad that you do. Happy 2008 :)

20 Comments:

Blogger Two Shews said...

I'm all for keeping it in one place. I like reading a variety, and I'm a lazy SOB who might not otherwise click around to get it. My two cents anyway.

11:41 AM  
Blogger Felicia said...

I think you should just stick with your site here. Your Blog name just reflects you a mom with opions. It not a cetain type of blog. I like it. I think you should do whatever makes you happy. Good luck!

Felicia

11:54 AM  
Blogger Cristina said...

LOL. I'm a lazy SOB too, which is why I'm leaning towards sticking with the same blog as well. :)

12:23 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Take it from someone who keeps moving around..Stick to one spot. You have readers who come back for a reason...you and your thoughts...No matter where they roam.

Your blog is you no matter what direction you take it...

Good luck either way.

12:24 PM  
Blogger The Domesticator said...

We come back because you rock, Cristina!!!!

12:53 PM  
Blogger Debbie said...

I'd read you if you renamed your blog "poopy poop poop" and were writing from the bottom of a stewy pit.

I'm loyal like that. :)

xoxo

12:54 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I say good for you whatever you decide but I am with the others who suggest you keep all the different sides of you under one roof.

Happy happy new year to you!

1:09 PM  
Blogger Blog Owner said...

Agreed on leaving it all right here :). Adds depth. Something I know little about but enjoy.

That didn't even make sense :)

1:10 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Stick with your current address, it is good name.

5:43 PM  
Blogger Amanda said...

Stay here, others will come...think of it as a well honed compost pile, it'd be a shame to leave such fertile ground.

5:54 PM  
Blogger dawn224 said...

I can't remember if blogger gives the option of having pages or not (I know wordpress does) - it's possible you could have one section per "big idea" ....

6:21 PM  
Blogger Julie Pippert said...

I agree: evolving right here is a good thing.

My blog and writing has evolved tremendously in the two and half years (ish) it's been around.

I know I'm happy with the mix, and will be glad to keep coming here, to this spot (and you know I'm interested in the rest, too).

6:56 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think you should stick to one place and just write what you feel!

You are great!!

10:48 AM  
Blogger Damselfly said...

Don't shut down MOTR! For the love of babies and slim women who wear hats and drink margaritas!

11:55 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Keep it here, I'm a random poster to. Knitting, kids, vents..all goes on the same blog. I enjoy all your writing :)

1:18 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Keep it all here! If people don't want to read everything they certainly don't have to. Plus I think it makes it difficult for the writer to have too many blogs with different topics. Something will fall through the cracks.

1:23 PM  
Blogger metro mama said...

I would stay where you are.

Happy New Year!

3:26 PM  
Blogger Cristina said...

OK, I can take the hint, people. I'm staying put. :)

4:18 PM  
Blogger mamatulip said...

What I like the most about blogs is that they're a record of thoughts, of feelings, of what we're thinking about at the time and what is grabbing us at the moment. So, that being said, I think you should stay put right here. It seems silly to start up a new blog to write about the things you're feeling passionate about when you could just write about them right here.

4:31 PM  
Blogger Dana a/k/a Sunshine said...

We love you Christina! I'm so glad you are blogging again. You do rock!!!

7:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

BlogHer Ad Network
More from BlogHer
Advertise here
BlogHer Privacy Policy

Moms Speak Up

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

A Perfect Post

A Perfect Post

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

More Bling