Sunday, February 03, 2008

WTF???

I cannot think of a more suitable title for this post. Just wait until you hear this.

So, as I mentioned a little while ago, I was dismayed to find out recently that the prenatal vitamins I have been taking for the last three years contain artificial coloring in them.

So I went to my local Natural Foods Co-Op to find a new brand. Now, before I go on, keep in mind that the Natural Foods Co-Op in my city is just about the most granola-y place you can go to buy anything. (And I say that with love and admiration for granola-y people everywhere.)

So, while perusing the prenatal vitamins aisle at this store, I quickly realized that the average price for a bottle of "natural" prenatal vitamins was about $20 for a 30 day supply, which is much, much higher than I am used to paying for my generic (albeit artificially colored) Kaiser prenatal vitamins.

Dismayed, but not beaten down, I was excited when I spied a bottle of 90 pills for just $16.95. "Deal!" I thought. It was the generic brand of pills put out by the Co-op itself. "I'm sure these are great!" I told myself.

Then I turned the bottle around to read the ingredients and found the following written at the bottom of the label:

"Warning: this product may contain substances known to the state of California to cause reproductive harm."

What. the. fuck.

I asked the clerk to tell me why in good God's name a prenatal vitamin carrying their label would carry a warning like this and he said he would check on it.

By the time I was done shopping, he still hadn't figured it out.

I plan to follow up by calling the store eventually.

In the meantime, I am just going to salute my favorite store of all times, Trader Joes, where I found my non-toxic prenatal vitamins for the very affordable price of $8.95. I can't believe I didn't check there first. Shame on me for not going to you first, TJ. It won't happen again.

12 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm hearing ya....my doctor has had me on prescription prenatal vitamins throughout my pregnancy. For some reason (maybe something having to do with your post) she has been adamantly against over the counter prenates.

So last week I go to refill the prescription only to find out that my new insurance carrier requires me to meet a prescription deductible before any coverage kicks in....and my total was....$145.00. Let me just repeat that: $145-freaking-dollars.

Thank you very much, Blue Cross Blue Shield. I'm in love with you already.

5:47 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My favorite is when "natural" vitamins say 90 pills but you are directed to take two a day. They are really expensive.

And why is Cali the only state that those substances may cause harm?

5:48 PM  
Blogger Kris Underwood said...

Uh, yeah...What the fuck is right! That is unbelievable. I just don't know what else to say about that.....

5:48 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That is a complete WTF - It is scary how a person can't afford not to be completely vigilant about what they buy these days. :^(

7:45 PM  
Blogger mamatulip said...

Make sure to update when you follow up with them. I totally want to hear the outcome of this!

9:31 AM  
Blogger Andrea said...

You HAVE to call them. You just have to call them on this. Unbelievable!!!

12:27 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That boggles my mind.

Time for me to start reading the fine print on absolutely everything.

1:00 PM  
Blogger cj15pisces said...

OK...now if that isn't the stupidest thing I have ever heard. I guess I should go look at my vitamins and see what is actually in them. Thanks.

6:21 PM  
Blogger Debbie said...

trader joe's ought to be carried around on people's shoulders and lauded with flowers and parades.

and I'm relieved to hear that, too, because I was all kinds of on-the-same-tip as you, having used the same prenates prior to J. you know this, but I thought I'd say it again. I loves me some repetition.

mmm. repetivity. say it with me, now.

xoxoxo

1:41 PM  
Blogger Damselfly said...

Huh? Is that like a bag of peanuts that's labeled, "Warning! May contain peanuts." No. This is is just bizarre.

11:54 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have had a similar problem....I just discovered that the Life Fitness prenatal vitamins I was taking have a range of artificial colours in them which according to my internet research can be toxix and harmful to the health. I am so upset as I have been trying so hard to eat organic, natural foods and avoid the unnatural substances so I am quite dismayed. I have to throw away the rest of the vitamins and another bottle I bought. I will be going to Trader Joes now for my vitamins too.

5:30 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The label says that about California because it is the only state that regulates the amount of lead. Studies have shown that many supplements, including prenatal vitamins, contain lead.
http://www.cfsan.fda.gov/~dms/pbvitami.html

5:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

BlogHer Ad Network
More from BlogHer
Advertise here
BlogHer Privacy Policy

Moms Speak Up

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

A Perfect Post

A Perfect Post

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

More Bling