Monday, June 09, 2008

I'm Too Tired to Think of a Title for This Post. Maybe It's My Adrenal Fatigue.

Thank you kind folks who left me comments of support on my last post. Today was a slightly better day in that I didn't throw anything or scream. Progress.

I think I have adrenal fatigue. At least that is what my holistic doctor thinks. I went to see her today. Actually, I was there for the baby's follow up appointment for his excema. She asks me questions about myself though and I told her that I have been having crazy mood swings, especially since starting the elimination diet that she put me on. (By the way, I have lost 10 pounds in 3 weeks. I guess that's what happens when you eliminate all sugar, all processed foods, all white flour products, all wheat, and all dairy.) Anywhoo, it's not so good that I've lost all this weight because that means less fat to store toxins in my body and more toxins will escape to my baby during breastfeeding - just more shit to worry about. In the meantime, though, my bod looks great. Small consolation.

But I digress, back to the doc. She asked me about my moods and we were talking and she said that she thinks I have adrenal fatigue and she wants to set up an appointment to talk just about me so she can do an assessment. After hearing her 5.6 second explanation of how one gets adrenal fatigue (basically being stressed for years), I think it may be true that I have it. I would guess that many women have it and don't realize it. She said that when you have adrenal fatigue, you have no capacity to deal with stress so any little stressor will send you over the edge. (Considering, I threw an entire bowl of half-made guacamole all over the kitchen floor yesterday just because the avocados weren't ripe enough, I'd say, uh yeah, I have trouble dealing with stress.)

So, I guess I'm going to make an appointment with her. I think she could help me. I just wish insurance would cover it. Damn insurance companies. Grrr.

And finally (because no post is complete with a poopy update) we finally gave Little Guy Milk of Magnesia and that got him to go. We skipped the Miralax because when I googled it, I found this entire Yahoo Group of moms devoted to talking about how Miralax screwed up their kids due to side effects. I know some people have used it with success, but that freaked me out so I went with the Milk of Mag. He's going to be on it for the next two weeks or so and hopefully he will re-establish a normal routine of going every day or two. I hate to be a pessimist but I don't think it's going to be that easy. He hasn't been regular for months. I would definitely say he has chronic constipation and 2 weeks of a laxative probably won't cure the real problem. Oh and did I mention we want to try potty training him next week?

*sigh*

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, I hope this is the answer and you can begin the process of fixing the problem. Also, I replied to your email.

And Yay for pooping Little Guys! I'm so glad you got him to go after that long. I didn't want to say anything yesterday to scare you and I know this is going to be something on your mind for longer than just one successful poop if he's got chronic constipation, but I do want to relate a story about a coworker friend of mine had her child (an 8 year old at the time) admitted to the hospital because of a blocked bowel. He hadn't gone for almost two weeks and when she took him in, nearly ten inches in length of his bowel and intestine were blocked up. He nearly had to have surgery, but luckily it resolved with some stronger medications. Ever since then, if my kids don't go every two days or so, I start to pay close attention. I hope nothing of the sort ever crosses your path, but people laugh about a lack of poop because hey! Poop jokes! But sometimes, there's nothing funny about it.

9:05 AM  
Blogger Cristina said...

Oh my GOD! That poop story IS scary. Thank you for sharing it though. I kept asking the nurses when I should get really worried and they never really gave me a good answer. Now I know that I should be very worried if he hasn't gone for over a week!

1:16 PM  
Blogger Kim said...

My daughter had a constipation problem before we potty trained her too. She got to where she would hold it so long that it would hurt her so bad when she'd finally go. I mean, not to get gross but this kid was pooping out stuff bigger than her head. Of course it hurt!

I tried kids' laxative, enemas, diet changes, and she would still only go about once a week.

I took her to the doctor, finally, and he told us that this condition finally stretched out her bowels so that it took longer for her body to feel full and prompt her to poop. So we had to give her an enema for a week straight to clean her out, then she had to take a fiber supplement and eat a lot of applesauce and fruit to get her regular. It took about six months but we did it.

Anyway, we caught it before it blocked her and we were able to correct it gently. It takes time and patience. She would get so embarassed because her poops would clog up the toilet.

I highly recommend getting him regular before potty training because it took almost a year to get her poop trained because it hurt her so bad she hated to go.

Sorry for the dissertation but I wanted to share.

11:04 AM  
Blogger Cristina said...

Thanks, Kim. That is great that everything finally worked out. It sounds like it was a rough road!

I am really concerned about the potty training thing because he is going to turn 3 in two weeks and if we don't get him regular for months, I don't know what we'll do.

He always has the urge to go, but he pushes and nothing comes out (sorry for the TMI). I have no idea why it's not coming except that he may be withholding when we think he is pushing. I've heard that's a common problem with children who are afraid to really "let it go" if they previously experienced pain on elimination.

5:10 PM  
Blogger Kyla said...

Dude, I don't care what ANYONE says about Miralax. I'm certain KayTar would have had at least one bowel surgery by now without it. I was HAND DELIVERING her poops. It was baaad. One time I had to call the nurse because it was stuck half in half out and I was having horrid visions of trying to put her in her carseat like that and driving to the hospital. Horrid. Miralax is my best friend. But I do get that with any medication there are going to be people with negative experiences and you have to go with your gut, no pun intended. ;)

As far as potty training goes, I wouldn't attempt it until he is regular. If he associates the painful bowels with potty training it will perpetuate the cycle.

1:56 PM  
Blogger Debbie said...

C, I love you, sweetie.

you are an awesome person, and an awesome mom.

just - hugging you.

7:18 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think I have Adrenal Fatigue. I'm curious to know what the treatment is. Keep us posted.

8:29 AM  
Blogger Sarah said...

Just thought I'd let you know that my ped also suggested a drink mix called CALM and there is a Baby formula. The only problem was it was very tart. And my little guy went from being not regular to being very regular (and excema cleared also) and I never needed to try it. But it's basically a magnesium supplement much like the MoM. And you mix it in a big old sippy cup of water, which you know, can't hurt, might help. They carry it at my local health food store and I would guess also at a Vitamin Shoppe or other such place.

Happy pooing!

9:49 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi~ I just found your blog, and I love it! I find myself laughing and nodding and feeling like I'm not alone!
My husband has adrenal fatigue and is dealing with a naturopath to fix it. Some of the things that are most commonly used to treat it are: B complex, SAM-e, green tea or herbal mate tea, Korean or Siberian ginseng, and a diet change. (although, you already seem to be going through an amazing diet!) I'm beginning to think that I have it too, but I'm not sure which herbs are safe for breastfeeding. So, I'm starting with a diet change-- less carbs, sugar, and dairy. (BTW, if I eat dairy, my baby's eczema gets worst.) They always say to reduce stress and relax more... haha. Yeah, right!

As for pooping difficulties, have you tried taking the baby to a swimming pool? It sounds kinda crazy, and you may not have the time or facility to do it, but I took my 7 month old to the pool and let him kick, float around, and wriggle in the water... and he went poopy like nobody's business! (thankfully at home) He hadn't gone for a week. Swimming always makes ME hungry; I'm thinking there's something to the underwater action and the lack of gravity stimulating the intestines or something! Try it out!

6:57 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

BlogHer Ad Network
More from BlogHer
Advertise here
BlogHer Privacy Policy

Moms Speak Up

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

A Perfect Post

A Perfect Post

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

More Bling