Monday, July 14, 2008

Liar Liar Pants on Fire

At only three years and 2 weeks old Little Guy is already lying to me.

Case in point. This morning, I was in the bedroom with the baby and I heard Little Guy in the kitchen pantry. Whatever he was touching was crinkly so I suspected he was eating some veggie chips. At 9am. Before breakfast.

Me: What are you doing in there?

LG: (no response)

Me: What are you doing, LG?

LG: I'm in the bathroom pooping.

Me: Are you sure you're in the bathroom pooping?

LG: YES!

Me: It sounds like you're in the kitchen.

LG: No, I'm in the bathroom. I have poop!

So I walk over to the kitchen and catch him red-handed in the pantry with the chips.

Me: I thought you said you were in the bathroom.

LG: I am in the bathroom. I'm in the bathroom pooping. (pops a chip in his mouth)

Me: It looks to me like you're eating chips in the pantry.

LG: Nope. Just pooping.

WTF? My kid is a liar, but he's obviously not clear on what happens when one gets caught in a lie. I guess he has a ways to go to learn that part. Unless he really thought he was pooping in the bathroom when he was really eating veggie chips. In which case I probably have a much bigger problem on my hands.

On the bright side, apparently lying at an early age is a sign of intelligence according to this New York Times article:

Indeed, bright kids—those who do better on other academic indicators—are able to start lying at 2 or 3. “Lying is related to intelligence,” explains Dr. Victoria Talwar, an assistant professor at Montreal’s McGill University and a leading expert on children’s lying behavior.

Although we think of truthfulness as a young child’s paramount virtue, it turns out that lying is the more advanced skill. A child who is going to lie must recognize the truth, intellectually conceive of an alternate reality, and be able to convincingly sell that new reality to someone else. Therefore, lying demands both advanced cognitive development and social skills that honesty simply doesn’t require.
“It’s a developmental milestone,” Talwar has concluded.


On the downside, the number one reason why the habit devlops is by watching their parents lie.

Remember that old commercial about smoking weed, "I learned it by watching you, Dad."

Uh, yeah. Well, I guess I shouldn't have told Little Guy that I love his father and then go rip him a new asshole every morning. That's kind of like a lie right? But that's another blog post for another day - the crazy wacko bitch I've become over the last 6 months. I attribute it to postpartum hormones and a nutso elimination diet, that by the way, has really worked wonders on the baby's eczema. I will post pictures and more info on that soon.

Oh and I hope all are well. I no longer visit blogs. Not because I don't want to, but because I'm barely keeping my life afloat. I hope BlogHer is fun this year. *hugs* to all. Miss you.

11 Comments:

Blogger Dana a/k/a Sunshine said...

Once again,you totally crack me up. "no mom, I'm really pooping" - well maybe he was crapping his pants as he was eating those veggie chips?

Too funny (though I understand maybe it isn't that funny....)

And I'm glad to see that I'm not the only one that gets snowed under. Hang in there.

11:52 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, very interesting! I hope my kid is a liar. I think?

2:11 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I haven't been reading blogs for a very long time... I used to follow yours. It sounds like you are in a rough spot - I hope things get better!!!

Your story was VERY funny by the way cracked me up!!!

7:42 PM  
Blogger Kyla said...

That is hilarious! I think it is true that smart kids tend to be the kind that can get themselves into more trouble...they are too clever!

6:04 AM  
Blogger Lisa said...

That is wild - that lying is tied to intelligence. Never knew that.

12:02 PM  
Blogger Debbie said...

i missed you like you were the sun to my sunbrella.

i'm glad to hear the diet is working. that diet is awful. it would suck patoot if it weren't doing anything.

love you.

9:42 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's a take on lying that I hadn't thought of! Wow, so next time Gabe lies to me, I will know in the back of my head as I'm marching him up to his room to think about what he's done that he's a smart little cookie.

Speaking of your diet, did you end up trying any of those recipes I emailed you? I am curious which ones (if any) are very good.

7:28 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, and blogging isn't a job (or at least, it doesn't have to be). I'm glad you're still updating now and then. I like to know how you're doing. But no pressure. Srsly.

7:30 AM  
Blogger The Domesticator said...

Glad I stopped in to see how you are. If only children realized that the noise of munching on chips or opening those cookie wrappers actually travels..... *ehehehhee*

1:57 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi,

I'm Jules and I work at bestrank.com, a company interested in blog advertizing. I found
your blog engaging and I'm contacting you to ask if you are interested in blog post
sponsorship.

If you are interested, kindly mail back for confirmation(jules@bestrank.com).Please
include your blog's URL.
Looking forward to doing business with you.

Sincerely,

Jules Viernes
BestRank.com

6:06 PM  
Blogger Julie said...

My youngest figured out how to lie before he could talk. He was simply ingenious about getting his brother in trouble. He would wait for me to walk past their room, and he would start crying. Of course, it looked, to me, like older brother had hit him. Poor older brother kept getting in trouble. I finally caught onto his game when I was spying om them one day. As soon as the youngest saw me peeking around the door, he pointed to his brother and started crying. I couldn't believe that someone so devious came from my womb. However, all kids lie at some point. Mine have actually grown to be decent, caring individuals. For those parents who gawlk at kids telling lies, and judge their parents, all I have to say is you are not immune.

Julie
blahblahmamablacksheep.blogspot.com

5:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

BlogHer Ad Network
More from BlogHer
Advertise here
BlogHer Privacy Policy

Moms Speak Up

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

A Perfect Post

A Perfect Post

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

More Bling