Saturday, May 20, 2006

I've Always Wanted a Pen Pal

One of the things that I like about blogging is that it allows me to meet all sorts of new people from all over the country--all over the world even. Why just last night I decided to venture out to visit some new peeps and made it all the way to Missouri for the first time ever! And then I hopped down to Florida, and THEN (and this was the most exciting), I made it all the way to Italy! Italy--my most favoritest country in the whole wide world!

Anyway, I really love the communication aspect of blogging. It's kinda like making a whole bunch of really neat pen pals. I get excited when people stop by my blog because I feel like I've just had visitors over to my house or something. (And I didn't even have to clean my kitchen or shower first. What could be better?)

Sometimes people even leave me comments--hilariously funny comments and insightful comments, sentimental comments and thought-provoking comments. When I get a comment, sometimes I'll reply by leaving a comment on my post, but othertimes I like to e-mail back. However, what I've been finding is that, more often than not, when I go to reply to the comment, there's no e-mail address there. Doh!

So, after three paragraphs of fluff, I am getting to the true point of this blog entry. It's something that Becky posted about on Friday and I thought it was worthy of a mention here as well. And that is: if you're not sure whether you have enabled your e-mail address so that people can reply to your comments via e-mail, please go to "edit your profile" and check the box that says "show my e-mail address."

Cuz how can we be pen pals, if I can't e-mail you back?

18 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a great post!!! I love to email!!! On the penpal note, I've had a penpal since I was 9. And I'm um, uh, 42. She lives in Cardiff, South Wales, and we've met 3 times. Once when I was 19, once when I was 21, and once when I was 36. We went from letters for years and years to email about 4 years ago...and yes...she reads my blog. How cool is that!

7:56 PM  
Blogger Pollyanna said...

You have my email address right? I am scared of putting my email up on my blog cuz i am terrified scared to death of hate mail. Why I think I am cool enough to get hate mail I have no idea, but none the less I am scared to death of the thought of it even. But, I'm not ascared of you. You got my address right?!?!?!?!

8:11 PM  
Blogger Catherine said...

I took this great advice from Jennster! back when I first stopped by her blog.

And I'm STILL amazed at how I have things in common with people from L.A. and Texas and Scotland! I have to agree that blogging one of the best things around since sliced bread.

8:27 PM  
Blogger noncommon said...

hey! i'm in missouri! so is marcie. see, you've been here before, and it was so boring you didn't even realize you'd made the trip! :) i'm thinking about the e-mail thing.

9:04 PM  
Blogger city dweller said...

I agree, the communication part is awesome. Hey, welcome to Portland, Oregon! :)

10:14 PM  
Blogger Cristina said...

Kvetch: that is awesome that you've had a penpal since you were 9. Wow!

Jodi: yep, I've got your email. no worries!

You can also do what I did and set up a special email account just for blogging that doesn't have your real name. Just don't pick "who's_yo_mama@yahoo.com" cuz I got dibbs on that one :)

Cameo: you crack me up. I didn't know you guys were from Missouri. I guess I get around more than I realized!

Catherine and Cityslicker: I sent you an e-mail. *wink*

10:27 PM  
Blogger Christina said...

While I admit that I slack in not replying to a lot of my comments, I do like having the e-mail of those who leave comments in case I want to add something or do want to reply back.

5:51 AM  
Blogger Cristina said...

Christina: those are my thoughts exactly...I don't always reply to every comment, but it's nice to have the e-mail if you want to reply back personally.

7:04 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I do love e-mailing my blog friends. One thing that's nice about Typepad is that one of the fields to fill out when you comment is e-mail, so unless someone leaves a fake address, I have the e-mails of anyone who visits and comments. I've actually become regular pen-pals of sorts with several of my blog buds. It is really fun to get a new e-mail!

8:00 AM  
Blogger The Domesticator said...

I had a pen pal when I was little and I loved it. Great post! I never thought to post my e-mail address on there. I'll have to enable it.
Oh, and Italy is the best country, isn't it? I'm going there in about 3 weeks...yippee!

9:39 AM  
Blogger Cristina said...

Domesticator: are you really going to Italy in 3 weeks?! I am SO jealous! I can't wait to hear more about the trip.

11:29 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love the pen pal aspect of blogging too, it is so much fun.

And of course someday I want to meet everyone and laugh with them!

12:25 PM  
Blogger Sandra said...

That is a great post! I just had a conversation with a good friend the other day who doesn't "get" blogging and I told her it was like having a bunch of wonderful pen pals.

12:40 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have to agree - blogging is such a great way to 'get to know' people from all walks of life. I'm always amazed at who is reading my blog when I click on their link.

Although, the perv that found my blog via Google search 'having sex with mom in sweatpants' is encouraged to stay far, far away.

2:13 PM  
Blogger K. said...

I have a German penpal whom I treasure dearly. Although we have never met in person, she is truly one of my best friends.

2:40 PM  
Blogger Chicky Chicky Baby said...

I'm not very good at replying to comments, either. I reply in my head as I laugh along with whatever the commenter wrote or nod in agreement but I need to be better about sending an email in return or posting a response in the comments. I also need to exercise more and cut down on caffeine, but one thing at a time.

6:57 PM  
Blogger Becky at lifeoutoffocus said...

yay you posted it:)

6:59 AM  
Blogger Dana a/k/a Sunshine said...

I think I've found a new favorite blog! I love blogging and have met lots of new people this way too. It is so fun and interesting. I don't know if myemail is enabled or not. Guess I'll see after I comment. I would love to have you visit my blog. I'll be back!

10:34 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

BlogHer Ad Network
More from BlogHer
Advertise here
BlogHer Privacy Policy

Moms Speak Up

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

A Perfect Post

A Perfect Post

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

More Bling