Tuesday, January 30, 2007

Soccer, Baby!



If there’s anything that I am not these days, it’s athletic. I can barely pull myself off the couch and when I do, it’s usually to get myself a snack. (Heh)

However, back in the day -- way back in the day -- I used to be pretty active. My favorite sport was soccer, which I played for 12 years recreationally. So when I had the opportunity to review AthleticBaby’s new soccer DVD, I was excited. I’ve always wanted to introduce my son to soccer and this was a great way to get started, especially since we haven’t had much of a chance to get outside this winter.

The DVD is more like a soccer music video than an instructional DVD. Lively songs play in the background as you are treated to real-life images of children of all ages having fun playing soccer. From infants to teenagers, you’ll see kids kicking the soccer ball around on the field, scoring goals, or (for the infants) just pushing the ball around inside on the floor. The DVD featured both girls and boys playing soccer, which I was happy to see.

My only caveat is that while the DVD is sold for children 3 months and up, I don’t think my son would have benefited from it much as an infant. However, that’s based on my personal feeling that he didn't really benefit from TV in general until he was a toddler. He is now 19 months and I could tell that he found the DVD intriguing. He kept saying “ball” over and over again as we watched the video, and given that he doesn't do much talking yet, I think that is proof positive that he liked it!

Lastly, you’re not going to learn all the rules of soccer here, but that’s not the point of this DVD. What your kids will get out of this DVD is the motivation to get outside, kick a ball around, and get active.

This DVD sells for $16.99. For more information, visit www.athleticbaby.com

This review was written for Parent Bloggers.
BlogHer Ad Network
More from BlogHer
Advertise here
BlogHer Privacy Policy

Moms Speak Up

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

A Perfect Post

A Perfect Post

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

More Bling