Wednesday, September 12, 2007

The Boo-Boo Kisser

Now that we're into the second week of daycare with Little Guy, it appears that we have made some progress. He no longer clings desperately to Husband's leg letting out wild hyena-like shrieks and yelling "No Daddy! Noooooooo!" when Husband says good-bye in the morning.

Yeah, that behavior is so last week. Now when Husband leaves, Little Guy cries but a little less fiercly. Husband "affectionately" reports that we are breaking him in well. (Excuse me while I supress all my maternal instinct to not cry now.)

Anyway, we really do love the daycare. I keep telling myself that there would be something wrong if Little Guy didn't behave like this when he's dropped off in the morning.

But here is what I found really disturbing. This happened yesterday when I was asking Little Guy about his day.

Me: What did you do today, Little Guy?

Him: Little Guy cry. (Note: He always talks about himself in the third person. Just like Elmo.)

Me: Oh honey. I'm sorry. Why did you cry?

Him: Little Guy fall down. Little Guy get boo-boo. Right here. (points to his head)

Me (leaning towards him): Oh, Little Guy, let me kiss it and make it better.

Him (backing away): No. Meredith kissed it.

That would be Meredith, his teacher. The Meredith who we love and who is taking great care of him while he is there. The Meredith who is consoling him when he falls and teaching him his letters and numbers. The Meredith who is apparently now also in charge of kissing his boo-boos.

I should be happy about it. So why do I feel so bad?

11 Comments:

Blogger Kyla said...

Awww. They are taking good care of him...you just sort of wish it was you there to do all the boo-boo kissing and such. Or that he would tell Meredith, "Nobody kisses a boo-boo like my mommy!" ;) He might not say it, but I'm sure he's thinking it.

6:41 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

because he's your baby and subconciously you are afraid that LG will begin to give more of his love to Merideth then yourself.

sorry, it's the shrink in me.

but atleast you have someone who loves your LG as much as you do!!! silver lining right?

7:55 PM  
Blogger Crazed Nitwit said...

Mom guilt. Kids are pros at it.

10:12 PM  
Blogger dodo said...

its heartbreaking, but it's good, but it's heartbreaking

4:39 AM  
Blogger Melissa said...

Awwww.....I know that hurts.....Punky does that too.......but I know he's being well-taken care of....which helps me feel better. I think I'd feel worse if no one kissed his boo-boos for him!

6:10 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That kid's SO got your number! Glad you found a place you like, although I'm sorry Meredith is a baby-love stealer :)

7:50 AM  
Blogger Lawyer Mama said...

That really does hurt, doesn't it? I would hate it when I picked up Hollis from daycare when he was an infant & he would smell like his sitter's perfume. HATED it. It told me that she was snuggling him a lot, but it made me feel horrible. It gets easier.

8:54 AM  
Blogger Debbie said...

that's what I'm afraid of, too, C.

gah.

(and it's probably only temporary. once he gets accustomed to the routine, you'll be back in the driver's -- and boo-boo kisser's -- seat. you will.)

9:59 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, stab through the heart! Don't worry, Mommy will be kissing the boo boos long after Meredith is just a day care memory. :)

Jane, Pinks & Blues

12:07 PM  
Blogger Andrea said...

Yay! Time to celebrate! This is so wonderful that they are caring and nice and that he has acknowledged and accepted this.

I have a possible explanation which does not include you being second best, even at boo boo kissing. I think that, at this age, they see everything in black and white. So, when you've kissed other boo boos, does he later get another one from daddy? Or from grandma like six hours later? Probably not. He knows that one kiss is enough, and standard. In his brain, that item on his checklist has already been taken care of. Need boo boo kiss? Check.

But I know that it's realy hard, what with all the recent changes and all. And he's still your baby. :)

Hugs,
andrea

7:35 PM  
Blogger Damselfly said...

Aw, just tell him Meredith was the pre-kisser until you could kiss it. A mama's kiss is best.

11:46 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

BlogHer Ad Network
More from BlogHer
Advertise here
BlogHer Privacy Policy

Moms Speak Up

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

A Perfect Post

A Perfect Post

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

More Bling