Wednesday, April 19, 2006

FYI: Watch Out for the Pancake Mix

Something happened when I got pregnant. I became a worrier. I'm like that one friend you have that’s always preparing for the worst and is amazed that you don’t have 20 gallons of water, a battery operated radio, and canned food supplies to last 6 weeks sitting in your garage. You know, just in case of a flood, an earthquake, or (God forbid) an Avian flu outbreak?

Yep, that's me.

And it all started with my pregnancy. I was constantly worried....Are my kick counts OK? Can I eat that gorgonzola cheese? Is it OK to scoop my cat poop? Can I enter a smoky bar? What about coffee, aspartame and mercury in tuna? Can I sleep on my back? Can I sleep on my stomach? Is it safe to travel on an airplane? What about herbal tea? Is that safe to drink? Is a positive RH factor a good thing? Phewww.

But all of that was just a warm up to the worries after the baby came. Then it was: Will my milk come in? What about thrush? How do you get that? Is cradle cap serious? Do vaccinations cause autism? Does baby acne leave scars? Shoot, was that my stroller that was just recalled? And what the heck is Roseola anyway? Are carrots really a choking hazard? Oh my God, will he really get SIDS if he sleeps on his stomach?! AHHHHHHHHHHH!

There’s more, but you get the idea. It’s endless. And just when I thought I couldn’t worry about ONE. MORE. THING. I read this article.



Pancakes Made From Old Mix Cause Acute Allergic Reaction


Yes, it appears that old pancake mix can actually be toxic and result in death if consumed. Just thought you should know. Cuz I’m sure you have nothing else to worry about.

16 Comments:

Blogger Zephra said...

I guess I better clean out my cabinets...

5:27 AM  
Blogger Marcie said...

It's a wonder any of us ever survived. I bet we've eaten old pancake mix many times:)

5:39 AM  
Blogger K. said...

This is my post. Well actually it is yours, but I could have written it myself because I have had all those same worries both during and after my pregnancy. Silly me, I thought I would STOP worrying after the baby was born....

6:06 AM  
Blogger sunshine scribe said...

I've got some cabinet cleaning to do!

I hear you - I turned into the biggest worrier after I became a mom. Things I never even considered before are now freakin me out.

7:06 AM  
Blogger Mommy off the Record said...

K: I thought I'd stop worrying after the baby came too. ha!

Marcie: yep, I'm sure we've eaten old mix too. scary :)

9:22 PM  
Anonymous sweatpantsmom said...

I'm always worried that this huge tree that sits in front of our house is going to fall on us.

Now I'll start worrying about the pancake mix, just to take my mind off the tree. Thanks.

1:17 AM  
Blogger Mrs. Chicky said...

I will now add old pancake mix to my list of things to worry about. I must be nearing the billion mark by now!

6:39 AM  
Blogger Catherine said...

OMG, I never noticed an expiration date on a box of pancake mix before! Thanks for sharing!

8:04 AM  
Blogger Mom101 said...

Ha, I was the opposite. Except for scooping the cat litter which I was VERY VERY worried about--or at least that's what I told Nate. (Shhhh)

I wouldn't worry so much about the old pancake mix. But then again, I just told you that.

6:09 PM  
Blogger IzzyMom said...

okay...like how old?

'cause I do have some that's pretty ancient lol

7:44 PM  
Blogger Mommy off the Record said...

sweatpantsmom: we were so worried about the old tree in front of our house that we actually had it cut down. Even though it practically cost us a month's salary.

Mom101: I'm glad you're not as neurotic as I. That's a good thing!

9:35 PM  
Blogger cameo said...

after my first son was born, i would lay in bed worried that the big wall decoration sticky things would come unpeeled and fall down and suffocate him. totally random, but the mind goes to places like that when you have something that really matters. my husband is going through that now, seeing as Roxy is his first baby. it's very sweet but a little tiring. i'm NOT telling him about the pancake mix!

7:30 PM  
Blogger pink-diamonds said...

Oh I am so glad I am not alone (about the worry and the old pancake mix). I worry more now that I have two. I used to worry about if the first one would get into a great college or not, now I just pray that the second one will get into college. He is so not getting the one on one brain building attention that his brother did. :)

8:36 PM  
Anonymous mrsbert said...

It doesn't stop you know, the worrying. Choosing a preschool then an elementary school has probably taken 10 years off my life. I can't imagine what will happen when they start going to sleep-overs. Hope the parents don't mind me calling in the middle of the night.....

1:12 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

http://www.truthorfiction.com/rumors/p/pancakemix.htm

Its a mold alergy. Unless you or your child is highly alergic to molds (in which case, I'd be more worried about my vent systems at home and at his school if I were you) then the only real thing to fear from this is a very bad tasting pancake.

8:51 AM  
Anonymous thoeffer@zoomtown.com said...

Sorry to say but this is true about the pancake mix. We had a large bag that we used about half of it and then we switched to bisquick so the bag of pancake mix got pushed to the back of the shelf. Later when we ran out of bisquick my son retrieve the old pancake mix out and made some pancakes. Within fifteen minutes of eating the mix his eyes became itchy, he starting coughing and wheezing and felt weak. My wife immediately took him to the doctors where they gave him a shot and called an ambulance to take him to the hospital. His oxygen level dropped to 60%, his blood pressure was high, his veins were constricted and he was having difficulty in breathing. He was in a severe allergic reaction to mold that built up in the pancake mix.
Fortunately we were able to get him to the doctors quickly and he was okay after getting some shots. He has never had any allergic reactions like this before. To our dismay we checked the date on the pancake mix and it was 2 years old. It was a lessen learned the hard way. I am passing this along so other people can be aware of it. Thanks and God Bless.

6:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

BlogHer Ad Network
More from BlogHer
Advertise here
BlogHer Privacy Policy

Moms Speak Up

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

A Perfect Post

A Perfect Post

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

More Bling