Tuesday, April 25, 2006

The First Step is Admitting You Have a Problem

Ever since I came out of the closet two months ago, I realize that I’m spending increasingly obscene amounts of time blogging. I found some questions on the Internet about “signs and symptoms of drug addiction” to help me figure out whether I might have a problem.

1. Do you sometimes drink/blog more than you intend to? Um yeah. I can't read my mommy blogs fast enough. If I could crush Motherhood Uncensored into a powder and snort it through a straw, I would. Just so I could read all her wonderful posts as fast as she writes them.
2. Do you sometimes "sneak" your drugs/blogging, hiding the extent of your use from lovers, friends and co-workers? Well, sometimes when the hubby walks in while I'm writing a blog post, I get very startled. I don't know why. It's not like I'm writing really embarrassing things about him or anything.

3. Do you prefer to drink/blog alone? I don’t like anyone watching me reading blogs, writing posts, or doing anything blog related. It makes me nervous. I'm not sure why, but it does.

4. Do you drink/blog to escape your worries or pressures? Uh, yeah. I mean, why else would you blog?

5. Do you drink/blog to build your self-confidence? Well, comments on my posts do make me feel good. Uh oh.


6. Do you think your drug/blog use helps you deal with loneliness, rejection or loss? Sometimes when other mamas visit my blog, I feel less lonely. Not that I'm lonely really. But you know. It's like friends stopping by for a visit. It's cool.

7. Daily drinking/blogging is surely a danger sign. Would you find it very difficult to come home at the end of the day and not have a drink? If I can’t check in on some of my mommy blogs at least once a day, I get jittery.

8. If you look back over the past several months, are you consistently drinking/blogging more each day than you used to? Oh yeah. I started out by reading just a couple blogs and now I try to read 18 of them! Even my blogroll can't keep up.

9. Do you have a drink when you wake up to calm your nerves? I try to check in on Mom 101 before I even get my coffee. So yeah.

10. Is your sex life suffering because after a night of drinking/blogging you just want to go to sleep? I usually blog in the evening and by the time I get to bed the hubby is asleep so, yikes, I guess our sex life is suffering.

****************************************

So, how about you? Are you a blogger addict? Is there help for this affliction?

27 Comments:

Blogger ms blue said...

Yes I'm addicted. That's the first step right? But I only want to feed my addiction. Plus blogging has never made me toss my cookies.

Very funny post!

10:54 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am oh-so addicted to blogging. I drink my morning coffee while I read my blogs - and I keep the computer on every waking hour. I write best when no one is around, and my kids don't officially know about my blog, although they do see the computer screen I suspect. There have been times I've blogged instead of eating breakfast and then ran out the door to work or to take the kids to school. My biggest challenge is keeping the blog pure to what I want it to be - as I am all wrapped up in the blogs of others and what they seem to be! I don't want to recover from this addiction!

4:45 AM  
Blogger Marcie said...

This is so funny! I find myself on the computer when more important things need to be done. It's an escape. Yep! I got a problem too.

4:57 AM  
Blogger mamatulip said...

LOL! This is hilarious.

5:29 AM  
Blogger Zephra said...

So...When does the first Blogger's anonomus meeting start.

5:32 AM  
Blogger Sandra said...

That was so funny! I too am addicted. I'll be signing up for those blogges anonymous meetings ... stat

7:02 AM  
Blogger pink-diamonds said...

Hi my name is pink-diamonds I am addicted to blogging.

7:29 AM  
Blogger K. said...

Oh yea, I am addicted too! I think the only help for us is to just keep adding more great blogs to our lists so that we never feel in need of a "fix".

8:38 AM  
Blogger MrsFortune said...

Hi, my name is Mrs. Fortune and I am a blogaholic. Yup. All of this is me. We need a support group. Maybe a message board? haha.

4:28 PM  
Blogger Cristina said...

OK. It's official. I think there are enough of us to start a chapter of Bloggers Anonymous! Glad I'm not the only one!

7:06 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I completely hear you. Thankfully my addiction has vastly lessened with the arrival of spring.

8:30 PM  
Blogger noncommon said...

yes, marcie and i were just talking about this today. that great pull that forces you to abandon more pressing matters and plop your ass down in front of the computer. the irony is i HATED computers and anything having to do with them a year ago. now i'm addicted. but my justification is i feel i've come across like-minded people, and that's what makes me feel good.

9:07 PM  
Blogger Bridgermama said...

I'm a total addict! I think we should start a 12 step program. I can't promise I will stick with it!

9:13 PM  
Blogger Catherine said...

You can also add my name to the list of people who find a million justifications for incessant blogging.

9:31 PM  
Blogger Cristina said...

I was going to go to bed early tonight, but here I am writing a comment about my blogging addiction in response to my own post on how I'm addicted to blogging. I really need help. And fast.

OK, I'm wrenching my hands off the keyboard now....and I'm off to bed.

10:02 PM  
Blogger The Domesticator said...

Oh boy...I can relate to your list too well. I am in trouble.

3:53 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

(raises hand) Hi, I'm Nancy. And I'm... this is hard to say... addicted to blogging. I failed my own bloggeritis test which was my first sign.

I'd like to join the support group, too. Maybe we should start a blog for that -- DOH!

Thanks for stopping by my site last night. I'll be back!

6:01 AM  
Blogger j.sterling said...

LMFAO- omg, this is fucking brilliant... you crack me up woman!
if blogging is wrong, idon't wanna be right!

9:52 AM  
Blogger Carolyn S. said...

This is fan-freaking-tastic! Hysterical. I would admittedly smash dooce into a fine powder and snort her off my compact mirror.

1:37 PM  
Blogger Kel said...

I'm so bad that I even keep checking things at work! If that's not addicted I don't know what is.

1:48 PM  
Blogger Cristina said...

Nancy: I didn't know you coined a name for it--bloggeritis! Your quiz was great!! I scored an 18. I'm going out to buy a pint of Ben and Jerry's now :)

Carrakakes: snorting it off the compact mirror. ha!

Kel: i won't say where I am right now, but it's not at work, really it's not :)

5:20 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

LOL yep, I'm seriously addicted. All these ideas swirling around in my head every night about what to blog next.

3:14 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

my name is Joy, and I am a blogaholic.

WHOO HOOO!

great post:)

11:22 AM  
Blogger Pollyanna said...

What a GREAT post. :) I did one similiary called, "I'm NOT a blogging slut". So funny. I am SOOOO addicted to blogging, and I have fiddled with the idea of a 12-step-program. Instead I just blog about it. :)

Thanks for stopping by my blog and commenting. makes me happy,happy,happy. I will BE back darlin'.

4:54 PM  
Blogger Mom101 said...

Fantastic! I need to print this out and take it with me to the local "twelve step for bloggers" program. Is there one?

Hey, maybe we should start it. There certainly seems to be a need!

9:41 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, dear god. I have totally been in denial. MotR, I'm not sure whether I should thank you, or break down into tears. Hell, I may just do both. In fact, I'm sobbing during this confession. I wonder if a shot of blog-odone might help. I'll be reporting back for the first meeting of BA, whenever it is. I clearly need help (my son is tugging on my shirttail even now, and I am trying to pretend he'll go back to playing with his truck and let me finish posting - a sure sign).

1:50 PM  
Blogger Bronie said...

ok. where's the nearest B.A.? sign me up...wait, i'm not sure i want to stop!

6:08 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

BlogHer Ad Network
More from BlogHer
Advertise here
BlogHer Privacy Policy

Moms Speak Up

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

A Perfect Post

A Perfect Post

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

More Bling